Thursday, November 13, 2014

Karli Mogen-9th 200 contact sheet and top 10 and artist statement

















Artist Statement
I have always been fascinated with the tactile quality of anything I see. So, my portfolio explores the textures that one encounters on a daily basis in Florida. More specifically, my images explore textures of skin; the skin of humans, animals, objects, etc. My portfolio will be split into four categories of textures with nine photos in each category: objects, plant life, animals, and people. I want to compare human skin with the surface textures of other, non-human things. Many non-human objects, especially plants have fleshy, skin-like textures to them. In the category of people, I tend to focus on faces and hands the most because I think hands and faces (especially eyes) can tell you the most about a person without them saying or doing anything.

Most of my images show the textures of subjects close up, sometimes so close that the objects become abstracted. With objects and plants, I like to confuse the viewer a little, so they have to figure out what it is that they are looking at. I draw inspiration from the surrealists in that respect. I also draw inspiration from Olivia Parker and how she tends to focus sharply on one aspect of a composition and blur everything else out. I like the realistic nature of that kind of focus. Our eyes tend to focus on one aspect of our field of vision at a time, especially with scenes that are right in front of our faces. I also tend to lean towards views level with or from below the subject, making it seem much larger than the subject actually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment