Friday, November 14, 2014

top 10 and srtist statement

Ilyusha Mann’s Artist statement
                Art is a means of entering the internal world of the artist as well as a means for the artist to view their self. A body of work, then, shows the evolution of the artist over time. This photo compilation is the story over the course of three months of my own inner evolution, and thereby my evolving relationship to the world around me.
                The project started out as just observing my environment and my friends. While doing this, I was also very self-reflective, often contemplating death and the importance of facing mortality. This is what led me to start taking pictures of myself from my visual perspective, taking pictures mainly of my feet while I look down doing whatever it is I do. This is relating myself to my surroundings and seeing myself in them.
                Over time, the process of self-reflection became more abstracting, reconstructing the way I viewed myself in relation to the world. At once I was only seeing a shadow of myself in the world. Then I was realizing that the way I perceived what was happening around me is a reflection of my own internal state, and that state is far from the perfect compassion I hope to achieve.
Yet all this self-reflection wasn’t doing anything to change that, so the story evolves again. It shifts to documenting the Buddhist sangha, or community, I am a part of as well as recording acts of compassion and honesty and how they affect people.










No comments:

Post a Comment